Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Story... with a Happy ending!

Things have calmed down a little now, and I thought I would let you know how the delivery was, and what has been happening in the last 24 hours.

We went to the hospital at 11:30 PM ON THE 14TH. The contractions were about 2-3 min. apart and Christie was in a good bit of pain. Christie said if they sent her home this time she did not know how she was going to do it. Also mentioned at this point that if she still had not dilated, then we would certainly need that epidural.

Well, they did admit her this time. *Thank God* We were admitted at about 12:30. We were still only dilated to 3cm. At 1:00 am she received her epidural. By 1:30, there was no more pain. Amazing. She did not even know she was having contractions and they were stronger than ever and only 1 min. apart. At 2:00 am her water broke and she was still only 3-4 cm. dilated. Textbook says that you should only dilate about 1 cm. / hr., so we figured it would be at least 9:00 in the morning and then a few hours of pushing. Wrong. By 5AM she was 9-10 cm and at 6:00 we were starting to push.

2 1/2 hours of good pushing and he was born at 8:28am. I always said I was not going watch the birth. However, I caught a glance and I have to tell you it was the most amazing thing I have even seen. I look at Christie in a whole new light now. She is so strong and amazing.

As soon as they moved him to the warming table he turned from Purple to Pink. APGAR was a 9.9 out of 10. They deducted 1/10 of a point because his little hands and feet did not change color as quickly as they wanted. He was just fine though. He then proceeded to pee on the nurse. That's my Boy! They weighed him in and he pooped on the scale. (Nice touch!) Obviously, his plumbing was working pretty good!

The doctor and nurses were taking bets that he would be at least 8.6 pounds - the doctor was very surprised that he was only 6.10 but was was pretty long.

The breakdown is as follows:
Length - 20 and 1/2 inched
Head - 13 and 3/4 inches
Chest - 12 inches
Weight - 6 pounds and 10.4 ounces

NAME: GARRY MICHAEL LOUGH

Garry is after his late grandfather on his dad's side.
Michael is his Grandfathers name on his Mom's side.

Please feel free to contact us by using the comment section on the bottom of each post. It will E-Mail be automatically. Christie and I love to hear from you.
We will be leaving the hospital in the morning or early afternoon on Monday Jan. 17

VIEW THE PHOTOS HERE!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pooping and Peeing are certainly wonderful! I am so happy for you both! Remember to look closely, because he is a miniature version of how you will look as an old guy!>LOL
Congrats again
Heather P and Family

Anonymous said...

Wow, good looks and a great score on his first test (Apgar)! He is already making you proud. Enjoy him, he is a little miracle. So glad mom and dad are doing well. Love the pictures. Jean Howley

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! From All of us in the CCS department at the Ritz- Carlton. Especially from Auntie Stacie!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had to come back again! Love the new pictures with grandparents and big, beautiful open eyes. He's adorable! You all must be very proud and happy. Can't wait to talk with you in the next few weeks.

Much love,
Tommy S in NY

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!!! I'm so excited for both of you...what a precious blessing! I miss you all so much and am going to try my best to get myself up there to see all three of you. Love ya,

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Christie and Preston,
Congratulations! He's beautiful! Enjoy this special wonderful time. Can't wait to see him in person.
Paula

Anonymous said...

PRESTON I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS PAGE!! I HAD TO BRING IT UP AS SOON AS WE GOT HOME TO GET MY GARRY FIX. HE IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND I MISS HIM SO MUCH. CHRISTIE DID A GREAT JOB AND I AM SO PROUD OF HER. PLEASE GIVE HIM A KISS IN THE MORNING FOR ME AND ALWAYS ONE AT BEDTIME. WE LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!

MOM & DAD

Anonymous said...

Christie and Gary...what a beautiful baby...you'll never sleep again! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Your friend at Clarksburg Baptist,
Lisa & Ron Williams

Anonymous said...

Dear Preston and Christie
Congradulations on your baby boy. From the pictures you can tell that you two are very pround parents.

sincerley,
Kortney Posey
(Katelyn's sister)

Anonymous said...

Hey Preston,
This is Carrie and Eddie Lindsay here, and we just wanted to congratulate you guys on yoour new bundle of joy...We are estatic for you. I can't believe all that poor Christie has been through, boy she is a trooper! We really hope to see the baby soon....Please write us sometime and keep in touch....we really miss you so much.
Love always
Carrie and Eddie

Krzycarebear@aol.com
Edluvuh78@aol.com